In this assignment, you will find and analyze data on the major exports of China and India into Canada. You will then try to explain why these countries export these goods.
Industry Canada Trade Data Online
Background data collection and analysis:
1. Download data on the top 25 products imported into Canada from China and India (separately) in 2018. Choose Search by Product, then select Trade Type: Total Imports, Trader: Canada, Trading Partner: China and India (separately), Time Period: Specific Year (2018), Value in: $ Canadian (Current Dollars), Product Options: Top 25 Products (HS6 Codes).
2. Choose three of the top 10 products. Determine whether these are commodities (i.e., agricultural products, fuels, or metals), low-skilled manufactured goods, or high-skilled manufactured goods, and research what inputs are used in producing these goods: resources, raw labour, human capital, or physical capital. Are these countries abundant in those inputs?
3. Download data on the top 25 products imported into Canada from China and India (separately) in the year of the year of the 1990s corresponding to the last digit of your B00 number. For example, if your B00 number ends in 5, collect data from 1995. (*My B# ends in 4)
4. From the lists in products in question 3, examine the top three products and determine whether they are substantially different types of products from those exported by China and India in 2018.
In your essay, describe the products that China and India export to Canada and how these exports have changed over time. Describe in general terms what kinds of goods these are, and consider what kinds of inputs are used to produce them. Does a country’s resource availability affect its exports? Rodrik (2006) shows that, in 1992, both China and India exported goods that were more sophisticated than their income levels would have predicted. Explain how Rodrik measures export sophistication. In 2018, do these countries still exhibit more export sophistication than you would expect?
Your essay must have a title, an introduction, and a conclusion. Make sure to define your terms and provide appropriate background information. A possible essay structure contains five paragraphs:
• a first paragraph that briefly introduces the argument you will make in the essay;
• a second paragraph describing exports in 2017;
• a third paragraph describing exports in the 1990s;
• a fourth paragraph describing how exports have changed over time, including an analysis of their sophistication as explained by Rodrik;
• and a fifth, concluding, paragraph that briefly describes the main points you have made in the essay.
The maximum length is 500 words plus a two-page data appendix; include a word count at the end of your submission. Include the grading rubric as the first page of your submission. Use Chicago or APA style, and write in 11- or 12-point font, double-spaced, with one-inch margins. Provide a bibliography listing the references you use, including the class PowerPoints if relevant. You must submit a hard copy (in class) and an electronic copy (on Brightspace) by the deadline. Please note that the electronic copy will be submitted to anti-plagiarism software.
The data appendix should include enough detail for the grader to determine that you downloaded the correct data and performed the calculations accurately; if not all of your data fits on two pages, you may decide to include only the first and last years of information. Required charts and figures go into the body of your essay; any supplemental charts and figures should be placed in your data appendix.
Writing quality papers is a TOP priority. One expert takes one order at a time.
The service package includes topic brainstorm, research, drafting, proofreading, plagiarism check, citation formatting, and revisions.
We appreciate how valuable your time is. Hence, we make sure all custom papers are 100% original and delivered within the agreed time frameRead more
Each paper is written from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
We see it as our duty to follow all instruction the client provides. If you feel the completed paper does not meet your exact requirements, we will revise the paper if you let us know about the problem within 14 business days from the date of delivery.Read more
Your email is safe, we use your personal data for legal purposes only and in accordance with personal data protection law. Your payment details are also secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
You can easily contact us with any question or issues you need to be addressed. Also, you have the opportunity to communicate directly with assigned writer, e-mail us, submit revision requests, chat with us online, or call our toll-free on our site. We are always available to our customers.Read more